At 6:20 PM -0500 12/21/07, John Siracusa wrote:
>On 12/21/07 3:43 PM, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>>  I've set up all the right things in a Rose::DB class to support this.
>>  Now I find myself with the need for four class hierarchies to handle
>>  slightly different things in those four environments.  Instead, I'm
>>  wondering if I can have:
>>
>>  DB/auto/prod/a/Cats.pm
>>  DB/auto/prod/b/Cats.pm
>>  DB/auto/dev/a/Cats.pm
>>  DB/auto/dev/b/Cats.pm
>>  DB/Cats.pm
>>  DB/BaseObject.pm
>
>Ick.  I think the root problem is that you have four sets of tables that are
>"99%" identical :)  You can avoid code duplication by subclassing, but it's
>still ugly.
>
>-John

I agree.  What you *should* do is generalize your database schema a
bit more so that it is 100% identical for all databases, and simply
have appropriately different data in them, and/or an app config file
setting that you set differently for different scenarios, such as to
use or ignore the extra timestamp. -- Darren Duncan