This one goes to Michael, I think...

Since you're in charge of documentation, I'd like to open discussion about
what you call Making noise by default. Nowdays the situation has improved in
many ways regarding MIDI on linux. My expectation was that KDE4 developers
would eventually make midi sounds playable through Phonon, which wont
happen, unfortunatelly. At least not for KDE 4.1.0.

We have wiki now. Maybe we could make general guidelines on the easiest way
of setting up various distribution to play something.
Let's go for asfxload/fluidsynth/timidity, in this order, as most of
distributions have these packed in one way or another.

I'm running openSUSE 10.3 now so I can help there. Everything is already in
these, somewhere. All the user has to do is to go to
http://software.opensuse.org/search and type fluidsynth. That will work out
of the box. There is an option to install qsynth but requires adding a
repository. Maybe, but only  maybe, I could create a repository for
rosegarden related software only.

So far, so good... But we need to have an agreement on where will we send
users to get soundfont. I vote for Personalcopy. They already have a nice
linux-centric sf2 files and documentation on obtaining those for linux.

Further ideas? Comments?

Regards,
Vlada