Hello all,

Just upgraded my kubuntu to the latest release, and to my astonishment the
ubuntu vanilla kernel seems capable of doing a reasonable job
rosegarden+jack+qsynth type audio. This is with jack in RT mode with the
default fairly conservative settings. I'm not trying to do almost-zero latency
audio work here, just trying to play a non-trivial midi file (carnival of the
animals as it happens), and it sounds ... well, fine really.

This is the first time I've experienced anything other than practically useless
rg/qsynth performance on a vanilla kernel (ubuntu version). First time I've not
had to immediately try to compile my own low latency/high
resolution/pre-emptive kernel after an upgrade just to use Rosegarden to play a
midi file. I'm actually quite happy about this :-)

I don't follow kernel development that closely - have things been done in
kernel v3 to improve latency/resolution/preemption of the vanilla version does
anyone know? I guess to do proper pro audio work you still need to roll your
own rt or low latency kernel, but it would be nice if the bog standard kernel
just played nicely with rosegarden out of the box, for the casual user.

Of course there are plenty of reasons never to put yourself through the
potential hell of a distribution upgrade with (k)ubuntu, but for once, for me
at least, kernel-midi-rubbishness doesn't seem to be one of them.

Unless I'm alone in my experience with previous vanilla kernels and rosegarden,
and you've all been happily using vanilla kernels and rosegarden together for
years, in which case ignore me and carry on as you were :-)

Cheers,

Ian.