On Wednesday, October 19, 2011, Johan Vromans wrote:

> When I open a MIDI file, I always get a dialog "Choose Text Encoding".
> My MIDI files contain text (vocals) that is UTF-8 encoded Unicode.
>
> Is there a way I can instruct RoseGarden to *always* use UTF-8 and not
> bother me with encoding selection?

Rosegarden has to ask, because there's nothing in the standard that can tell
us what encoding to use, and we don't trust ourselves to guess.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a clean alternative to that
necessity.  If we did have some option to "always use this encoding from now
on" then how would the user deal with it when they encountered a MIDI file
that wasn't encoded in UTF-8?

It's hard to tell from a glance how successful a "change text encoding"
function might be.  I suppose that would be the way to do it though.  Default
to UTF-8 in this day and age, and provide a facility for changing the encoding
if the strings are coming out wonky.

Unfortunately, all I have time for this morning is a quick glance, and all I
can tell from that glance is that this is more than I have time to think about
just now.
--
D. Michael McIntyre