Hello all,

Now that the first incarnation of "Linked Segment" functionality is out there
in the wild in 11.11, I'm about to have a go at a few ideas to take it further.

At the moment, the basic linked segment functionality is just about the minimum
possible implementation - i.e. you can create a linked segment from an existing
segment by Ctrl+Alt+dragging it, and you can unlink a linked segment by use of
a Segment menu entry.

If anyone starts making use of linked segments and/or has ideas for more
features related to them, I'd be more than happy to hear.

At the moment the feature is a bit secretive - if you don't know about the
cryptic Ctrl-Alt-drag incantation, you're unlikely to find out about it by
looking at anything in the ui. Hence the first extension I want to make is the
ability to paste a segment as a link by some kind of "Paste as links" edit menu
item (with an associated Ctrl+Alt+V shortcut). I'd also like to put in some
kind of "advanced paste as links" functionality for pasting (say) N segments as
links, or pasting them at a certain time or bar/beat. Basically finer control
of the paste of the links.

I guess we could do with some way of colour coordinating link groups, and be
able to change colour of a link group all in one go.

On the dev list we've had various blue sky discussions about relative
transposition of links or time stretch/squashing links, all of which I'd love
to revisit.

Anyway, I hope at least some of you get some use out of it, even in its present
basic form! Let me know if there are any bugs with it too.

Thanks all,

Ian.