On Tuesday, November 15, 2011, miker291 wrote:

> using a sound blaster live card and want to configure the metronome to use
> the internal synth on the soundcard to play.

It sounds like you probably know this, but don't forget you have to load a
soundfont into the thing first.

> I go to "manage midi devices" and try to select the emu10k1 on port 0 (can
> it be any port?).

Connecting "General MIDI Device" to the emu10k1 is the first step, yes.  For
the sake of keeping it simple, we'll just connect your soundcard to the stock
default device, and use port 0.

> Then I right click on track 10 on a new composition and select the General
> Midi device on instrument 10.

That should get drums playing out of any segments you drop (or create) on that
track, but it doesn't have anything to do with the metronome.

> So I play the composition back to hear the metronome and no sound (even
> though the "playback" option is checked under "manage
> metronome").

You've discovered Studio -> Manage Metronome, but it doesn't sound like you've
configured it correctly.  I'd expect the default setup to work in the scenario
we've outlined up to here.  It should say something like:

  Device     [General MIDI Device emu10k1 0]
  Instrument [General MIDI Device #10(D)   ]

The idea is to connect it to whatever device your emu10k1 is connected to, and
use instrument #10 (as of Rosegarden 10.02, instrument #n always plays on
channel n).

If you've got all that set up right, then the most likely suspect is you don't
have a soundfont loaded, or don't have a suitable soundfont.  The next most
likely suspect is that the mixer levels are screwed up, and you can't hear the
synth at all.

If neither of those is the case, I'm stumped at the moment.

> What is strange is this track shows midi activity like its
> playing drums but I hear nothing. Is there something I don't understand?
> Please help thank you

The MIDI VU meters mean Rosegarden is generating something.  You see the meter
pulsing because it's generating MIDI messages to play drum hits on the beats,
but you're not associating the activity with any audio because something else
is busted somewhere.

Welcome to Rosegarden's most frustrating frequently asked question.

Whips and chains are for sissies.  True masochists use Linux audio.
--
D. Michael McIntyre