Gary G. <happyrat1@...> writes:

> david <gnome@...> writes:

...snip...

> > > You mean something like the script mentioned here?
> > >
> > > http://rosegardenmusic.com/resources/documents/rgd-HOWTO.shtml

...snip...

> I downloaded and ran txt2rgd.py shortly after I posted and tried it out
> on a Cakewalk INS file that specifically targets my Korg TR.  It barfed
> out over 2400 errors!!!
>
> Now if I have to go in and reformat 2400 lines in order to create a viable
> text file for the conversion that's really not going to save me a lot of
> grunt work.  And that's only for ONE synth!
>
> Now seriously, I'm a user, not a programmer nor a spreadsheet wizard.  I
> haven't touched a line of code since college over 25 years ago.
>
> Seeing as Cakewalk/Sonar INS files are ubiquitous, unchanged for over two
> decades and as close as a standard as anyone can get to set out instrument
> definitions, it strikes me as a long overdue and almost trivial
> afterthought for any seasoned script programmer to write a 100 line or so
> conversion utility.

...snip...

> In fact, if nobody steps up to the plate on this and offers to write it, I
> may just end up having to do it myself anyway.

...snip...

So the more I look at this problem, the easier path seems to be simply
downloading a tutorial on python, spend a week learning the language,
and writing the utility myself.

Figure with having to learn the API and system calls and researching
the file formats (I know sweet-f***-all about XML documents) I should
have something up and running within a week or two and fully debugged
and free to release under GNU license within a month at the outside.

At least it'll be useful to everyone else who struggles along sequencing
$2000 synths with basic General MIDI patches.

For a seasoned python or perl script writer this would be an evening's
work at most, but like I said, I haven't coded in 25 years, so if no one
else is willing to do it I guess I'll start printing up the necessary
research material and kludge something together when I have the time.

Even with all that, it will STILL be easier than reformatting the crap
in a spreadsheet and make RGD creation in the future a pleasure rather
than having one's wisdom teeth extracted anally like it is today. :D

Wish me luck and if anyone with more "skilz" than I gotz wants to take
this off my hands by all means feel free.  I won't be insulted. :D

btw, here's the tech spec for the Cakewalk INS Format:

http://www.raisedbar.net/InsDef.htm

Regards,
Gary