Linux isn't the problem: the problem is Unity's misguided attempt to
force apps to share a single menu instead of giving each its own menu in
its own window (the way every other desktop UI on Linux does).

Replace the worthless Unity interface with XFCE. We had to do that on my
wife's netbook so she could use single-window programs that were a lot
less complex than Rosegarden!

--
David
gn...@hawaii.rr.com