--- On Tue, 8/21/12, John <wildber...@cogeco.ca> wrote:

> I would like to thank all you respondents who tried to help
> me..I have Jack,  Qsynth, Timidity installed.  But
> I am at a loss how I can tie all these pieces together to
> produce any sound.
> How to "plug in" any of these pieces?

There are many Linux Distributions (a.k.a Distros) out there, a very few
distros are customized for MIDI related music:  Musix, Studio64, Ubuntu
Studio...

Those distributions should have all the apps above and should also have
Rosegarden setup to run from the desktop menu.

If you try most other Linux distros, chances are they are missing lots of
"setup" applications and configurations.  Lots and lots of info, too much to
share in a couple of email messages.  Chances are one would be wasting lots of
time trying to figure things out without some "working" examples.

Your best bet would be to try one of the above mentioned distributions, at
least their LiveCD.  Booting up from the LiveCD, and run the apps, then inspect
the settings for each of those apps and how they are tied together.  Those
LiveCD should be the best way for self learning if one spend the time to look
around.  These are excellent working examples to learn from.

> The Union interface of Ubuntu 12.04 does not lend itself to
> do things as one would do in a KDE environment.
> I wonder if linux is getting so smart, that it tends to
> outsmart itself with the increased complexity. Michael
> McIntyre Tutorial is a great write up, but is not geared to
> modern hardware. It is based on KDE
> and I am lost how to apply it to my Union interface.

I think you mean Unison, not Union?  Or, perhaps I could be wrong, because I
don't even touch *buntu stuff.

With most major Linux distros, you can run KDE, GNOME, Unity, LXDE, Fluxbox, or
any desktop environment.  Just happens that the "default" desktop is chosen as
"one" way to use Linux.  There is no restriction if you want to use other
desktop environment.  So if one doesn't like Unity, install and run with a
different desktop environment.  Most people are just so afraid of trying other
options, or choices, or afraid they may "break" the computer.  Or they were
"conditioned" by Apple, or Microsoft, or their cell phone and PDA that they
don't dare to try anything else.

Every application has its own interface defined by their developers.  They will
decide what they want to do.  The desktop environments is just another
application.  So one should learn how to use each application and don't pretend
all the apps are one and the same thing.

If you think in Windows everything look the same, perhaps you should look at
the different versions of Windows, every new version of recent releases, people
have to learn a whole new way of doing thing, especially with the countless
system settings.  Such a waste of time.

Stick with one way of doing thing and be productive instead of wasting lots of
time tweaking with how things look every few months because things look "old".

Jimmy