I found this 2008 rosegarden tutorial by D. Michael McIntyre
@ http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/tutorials/supplemental/zyn/zyn.html
in which he explains how to use the ZYN synth. He begins with
launching ZYN and then watching Qjackctl connect it, etc. But
rosegarden-11.11.42 can use ZYN without it being started manually
i.e. ZYN figures in the synth list. Is there there a difference?
Is this second condition a result of rosegarden having detected
an installed ZYN package and just using it?

The reason I'm asking is that sofar I've found only 2 ways to
get sound from ZYN: via what seems to be the above internal rosegarden
selection with rosegarden running, or without jack (and thus without
rosegarden) when ZYN is started manually with the command "padsp zynaddsubfx".
[OpenSUSE-12.2 in which the jack/qsynthctl/rosegarden combo now
otherwise works nicely].

For laughs, the 5 ways I have to start ZYN are:

no sound:  1 "zynaddsubfx" (pulse?)
   sound:  2 "padsp zynaddsubfx" (gets around pulse?)
no sound:  3 #1 with jack & rosegarden running
no sound:  4 #2 with jack & rosegarden running
   sound:  5 jack & rosegarden running internal ZYN

Thanks