On 10/23/2012 03:58 PM, k...@trixtar.org wrote:

>      - create qs1 & connect to 129:0 Synth input port (4145:0)("write")
>      - create qs2 & connect to 130:0 Synth input port (Qsynth2:0)..
>      - create qs3 & connect to 131:0 Synth input port (Qsynth3:0)..

>        - green flash on Qsynth instance tabs as the
>          appropriate track is clicked selected
>        - midi mixer showing all 3 qsynth instances

> ...and this is where I get stuck looking for a way to set a
> different (musical) instrument aka 'sound'

So far so good.  You almost made it.

When you created the new devices for qs1-qs3 and hooked them up, you
didn't load any device definitions.  Rosegarden only provides controls
for changing programs, banks, controllers, etc. that it knows about, so
you need to let Rosegarden know what's hooked up.

The most expedient way to do that in your case is to go load everything
straight out of the .sf2 files associated with each of your new devices.

Studio -> Manage MIDI Devices, choose qs1 as a starting point, hit
Banks, then Import, then change "Files of type" to say "Sound fonts."

Navigate to wherever the first .sf2 file is stored, then select it.
When the options dialog pops up, the default options should be fine.

Now you'll be able to use the controls in Instrument Parameters to
change programs.  It automatically loads whatever is in the soundfont,
so you'll have access to all the banks of programs and any additional
drum kits as well.  Once you get this far, you can probably figure out
how to set that stuff up by fiddling with the controls.  You'll find
them much more responsive once there are some controls to use!

--
D. Michael McIntyre