> Thanks for that link.  It appears that it will do the job (and there are
> a few other programs there that might be helpful as well), but I would
> prefer a native Linux app, if one exists.

If you have at least basic C coding skills you could try these MIDI
utilities (i.e. the corresponding MIDI file library):
http://www.sreal.com/~div/midi-utilities/

A format conversion to MIDI type 0 program would look something like
this (not tested - meant as primitive sketch).

#include "midifile.h"
int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
  MidiFile_t myMidiFile = MidiFile_load("some_path_to_midifile");
  MidiFile_setFileFormat(myMidiFile, 0);
  return MidiFile_save(myMidiFile, "some_other_path_to_midifile");
}

Look at the other utilities and their Makefiles to see how to add
this to the whole set. Or just create a project on your own.

Of course you could add some cmdline parameter handling to parameterize
filenames, format and you could add other stuff like changing resolution
etc.

HTH,
Michael
--