Thanks for the pointers, Yves.

I've experimented a bit more and here's what I've found.

1. notion language set to English & "lead sheet chords" option on
If I spell the chords in the "english" way, they simply aren't printed.
Looking at the lilypond export shows that rosegarden has written them like
this

 %{ improper chord: 'bf' %}

If I spell the chords in the Nederlands way, lilypond fails to process.

2. notation language set to Nederlands & "lead sheet chords" option on

Same as above when spelling the chords in English. No output.
Spelling the chords in Nederlands format (e.g. "bes:"), they are printed
correctly

So, I think this is what is happening.

1. Rosegarden assumes the Nederlands format is the only good one. If it
sees that format, it will send it to Lilypond correctly.
   If at least one chord doesn't seem to match that format, it uses the
"improper chord" notation that is ignored by Lilypond.

2. If I have the notation language set to something other than Nederlands,
my Nederlands-spelled chords cause lilypond to fail.

Best Regards,
Bradford