Thanks for the response!

This issue was actually with the binary from the KXstudio repositories (so
14.02), which I had installed in order to get zynaddsubfx-dssi to show up
at all in the synth plugins menu (although subsequently I've concluded that
whether it shows up is contingent on the version of zynaddsubfx-dssi I
install, rather than the version of Rosegarden).

For the past few days I've been using a different computer with an Ubuntu
Studio live USB, and I decided to install the same packages and see if I
got the same results; I did. So then I compiled Rosegarden 15.08 from
source and found that zynaddsubfx-dssi doesn't show up if it's the version
from Ubuntu Studio, so I installed it from the kxstudio repository and then
compiled Rosegarden again. At that point, I replicated the original error
with the compiled Rosegarden.

Perhaps the problem is with the kxstudio binary of zynaddsubfx-dssi, and
the next step is to try compiling the plugin from source? I'll have to
research how to do that, though.