With respect to all the issues with respect to notation, compositional
aids, humanized tracks, etc:

I kinda hate to bring it up, but perhaps the RoseGarden developers should
take a look at another Open Source project --- Impro-Visor
and "lift a whole bunch of tools out of it.

As computers continue to get more powerful, I can envisage the two
projects merging.  Right now, nearly all professionals using Impro-Visor
and the vast majority of students generate files they touch up and
orchestrate in RoseGarden.

Such an application would not be "thin", I've got around 2000 cores
working on Impro-Visor routinely with another thousand or so readily
available, so that is serious music AI.  RoseGarden then applies serious
leverage to Impro-Visor results.

OK, I've said it.  A live grenade in the room.

Have fun,