On 11/06/2016 03:05 PM, Marko Randjelovic wrote:

> I would prefer keeping what user has chosen, including if program is

The problem when importing a MIDI file is that the user hasn't chosen
anything yet.  These settings are stored on a per file basis, and there
is no global default setup for this kind of thing.  I got the original
developers to implement the "always use default studio" option as a hack
way of trying to address what I considered a serious design flaw at the
time.  In practice, I rarely used that option, and always found all of
this slightly problematic, but not problematic enough to do anything
about it after I eventually ended up becoming one of the longest-serving
contributors here.

> On 6 November 2016 at 18:01, Ted Felix <t...@tedfelix.com

>        What sort of behavior would you prefer?  Assign to the first port
>     found?

The way it was supposed to work, when you imported MIDI it would try to
fuzzy match you with "General MIDI Device" and try to assign that to a
playable port.

Without actually studying and documenting any of the shifts, my
intuitive sense of how things are going as the iterations roll along
tells me that some of the work you've done cleaning various things up
has in fact made this behavior deliver fewer good outcomes than was the
case previously.  I remember the last time I fooled around importing old
MIDI files, I had a lot of problems, to the point where I had to look at
the file in something else to figure out what programs I should set up,
and then I had to set all of that up manually in Rosegarden.

I don't know how it used to work, Ted, but I know I never had to do all
that nonsense before.  It's easier just to roll with the changes than
try to untangle some mystical idealized past behavior.  You sorted out a
huge number of problems along the way, and this was collateral damage
caused by overall very worthwhile work.  You probably plugged a hole
that used to make things work by accident or something.

I could sit down and try to document what I see now, and offer
impressions about what I think is probably wrong.  Unfortunately, I
can't say what is definitively and absolutely wrong, because I'm just
too far out of touch at this point.  When I was dealing with this
particular stuff most strongly, it was back when the emu10k1 was a
common thing.  In day to day life, I never see the issue anymore unless
I dip into old MIDI files from the '80s and '90s that I rarely see anymore.

--
D. Michael McIntyre