On 02/04/2017 04:32 PM, Abrolag wrote:

> I thought I'd see if I could work anything out myself, but after 3-4 hours of
> looking over the code, I still didn't have any idea how all the bits link
> together :(

I've never gotten anywhere with sequencer/audio stuff myself.

> Is it possible to discover who wrote the original code, and maybe gently tweak
> their nose? Failing that, are there any other devs who might take a look at
> it?

It was probably Richard Bown or Chris Cannam, neither of whom has been
active here in a number of years.

Did you ever file a bug report?  Ted Felix will tackle just about
anything if there is enough interest, but he loses track of email
easily.  He's basically the only guy I know with sufficient skill to
have a hope of getting into the head of the developers.  That code uses
a million deprecated things anyway, and should probably be on the
schedule for a big cleanup.

It could also be argued we should just eliminate audio and synth plugins
entirely.  Now that I've been using REAPER and the VST stuff on Windows,
I realize that there are dozens of missing features, like splitting
audio at the nearest zero crossing, crossfades, smooth management of
takes, and on and on.

I can finally understand why Richard just ditched the audio features in
his Windows fork.  We're not a lot more sophisticated than Audacity, but
we're a lot harder to get up and running than Audacity.

I could go either way on that one.  If I had a usable mixer for my damn
audio interface so I could use it with Linux, I might not be above
adding some of those features and making our audio side useful.  No
chance of that happening though.  That mixer is complicated, my time is
extremely limited, etc.

Anyway Will, I will definitely agree with you that looking at this crap
every time I close Rosegarden is getting on my nerves too:

'Jack::JackTemporaryException'
   what():

--
D. Michael McIntyre