All just remember I am not blaming Rosegarden. This is not a rant or badmouthing Rosegarden.
Rosegarden is free Magic software, unreplaceable for me.

Since this doesnt happen to those who responded, there must be something locally here that triggers the crash and I think I know what the culprit might be.

I really STRONGLY suspect QT to be the problem. If QT induces a crash and take Ropsegarden with it, then Rosegarden was stopped without a SIGINT and just crashed by QT. Since there was not at least a SIGINT, all data in memory will be lost and since it seems Rosegarden do not write to file and ljkeep the recording in memory only writing upon save button, all will be lost.

I have had similar issues since QT was owned by Troltec decade or so ago. I actually stopped developing with QT long ago due to similar stability issues.
I am pretty sure the source of the problem is some QT library.

Rosegarden crashes when I press the Stop or pause buttons after a long recording so it could be a QT widget issue after a period of time.

Otherwise

My recordings are generally long.
About 1/2 hour sessions.
The crash only happens on long clips.
Short clips dont crash.

I will make a video of the crash and then see if it happens with a newer version. The version I currently use is the latest for my Distro, but I will upgrade to the newest unless there are unresolvable dependency problems.

Rosegarden: 17.2

:~$ cat /etc/*lease*
NAME="MX"
VERSION="18 (Continuum)"
ID="mx"
VERSION_ID="18"
PRETTY_NAME="MX 18 (Continuum)"
ANSI_COLOR="0;34"
HOME_URL="https://mxlinux.org";
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://mxlinux.org";
PRETTY_NAME="MX 18.3 Continuum"
DISTRIB_ID=MX
DISTRIB_RELEASE=18.3
DISTRIB_CODENAME=Continuum
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="MX 18.3 Continuum"
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="9"
VERSION="9 (stretch)"
VERSION_CODENAME=stretch