Adding my canonical, unsolicited $0.02 ...

Merge works. But what, IMO, is *really* needed is the ability to open multiple files (documents) simultaneously and cut/copy/paste tracks, segments, and selections between them.

I fully understand the amount of work that would be required to implement this.

Not a new idea -- see Feature Request #228, originally filed in 2005. The amount of work was also understood back then. ;)