Will, can you go through this first draft series of steps on the problematic box and let me know if it finds the issue? Thanks.

Boot into the problematic kernel.

Confirm that it is a preemptible kernel.

    $ grep -i config_preempt= /boot/config-$(uname -r)
    CONFIG_PREEMPT=y

If you don't see "CONFIG_PREEMPT=y" then you need to install a preemptible kernel.

Check the grub configuration to make sure nothing is specified on the kernel command line related to preemption.

    $ grep -i preempt /etc/default/grub

You should either see nothing or "preempt=full" along with possibly other options. Anything else might mean trouble and requires a change to your grub config.

Check for voluntary preemption. (Not sure how this fits into everything, but it might cause problems and need some further investigation.)

    $ grep -i preempt_voluntary /boot/config-$(uname -r)
    # CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY is not set

Ted.