William,
I started reading through the draft spec. for ebXML CPP and it looks like
everything we have been talking about is addressed.  I've inserted a
summary of the "PartyInfo" section below.  The Transport elements section
should be able to specify all those legacy dialup settings you
mentioned.  I understand Dick Brooks was also looking at this.  I wonder if
anyone is actually "hooking up" via a simple CPP-CPA negotiation... and
then passing plain old EDI interchanges.. and then un-hooking.

This does imply the existence of a [simple?] CPP registry in which each
Collaboration Protocol Profile is an XML document indexed with a globally
unique ID number... which could be either the ProviderID or the
PlanID.  Each of these XML documents can be digitally signed, so it would
seem that all trading partners could upload new/signed CPPs whenever local
conditions changed.

Each time a sender wants to transmit an interchange, it appears that he
would just query the national Plan or Provider CPP registry, auto-negotiate
a CPA (essentially an electronic trading partner agreement for that one
interchange... TPA could be logged) which would, in turn auto-configure his
system with all the transport/addressing details... click SEND!

Has any "industry" grabbed hold of this yet?  We have a relatively
"blank-slate" in vision care and the manufacturers, labs, and other
entities in the eye doctor's supply chain are meeting next month for a high
level discussion of doctor-lab EDI... VERY high level.  The host entity,
Vision Council of America is already thinking about handling some or all of
the "standards maintenance" issues associated with a Doc-Lab purchase order
standard.  They might be willing to maintain an ebXML registry for all
potential trading partners within the vision industry.

Am I understanding this general process correctly?
Thanks,
-Chris

The PartyInfo element consists of the following child elements: · One or
more REQUIRED PartyId elements that provide a logical identifier for the 734
organization. 735
· A REQUIRED PartyRef element that provides a pointer to more information
about 736
the Party. 737
· One or more REQUIRED CollaborationRole elements that identify the roles
that this 738
Party can play in the context of a Process Specification. 739
· One or more REQUIRED Certificate elements that identify the certificates
used by 740
this Party in security functions. 741
· One or more REQUIRED DeliveryChannel elements that define the
characteristics of 742
each delivery channel that the Party can use to receive Messages. It
includes both the 743
transport level (e.g. HTTP) and the messaging protocol (e.g. ebXML Message 744
Service). 745
· One or more REQUIRED Transport elements that define the characteristics
of the 746
transport protocol(s) that the Party can support to receive Messages. 747
· One or more REQUIRED DocExchange elements that define the
Message-exchange 748
characteristics, such as the Message-exchange protocol, that the Party can
support. 749

At 12:23 PM 2/25/02 -0500, William J. Kammerer wrote:
>It's unrealistic to restrict transport methods to the common TCP/IP
>protocols.  We need to support all the "legacy" dial-up connection
>types - to assuage fears of the open Internet's security "problems" or
>to simply support the PM systems out there already -  with some means of
>describing scripts, logins, passwords, modem-settings, etc. etc. in our
>Electronic Trading Partner Agreement.

Christopher J. Feahr, OD
http://visiondatastandard.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]