Ron,
There is no doubt that the patient is "the weakest link" in this discovery
process.  In vision care, when the patient is unsure of the payor/plan, we
routinely query one or two of the largest payors with both the patient's
and the presumed subscriber's SSN numbers... just because it's easy to do
and we often find them listed.  An additional source of confusion in
identifying plans is the fact that the patient is often more aware of the
name of the general medical plan (possibly a closed-panel HMO that we do
not belong to).  So the patient calls the eye doctor and states that she
has a "vision plan" through "HealthNet".  We know that our office is not a
member of the HealthNet provider panel, but... avter investigation by my
staff, the "vision plan" turns out to be Vision Service Plan (VSP), meaning
that re really CAN see the patient after all.

The ONLY reliable info that you can get from the patient is WHO THE PATIENT
IS!  A central patient plan-membership registry would be  VERY
helpful.  Otherwise, payors will want to essentially "SPAM" every payor in
the world with general "type 30" eligibility queries until they get a
"hit".  The provider is in a tough spot here because many of these "unknown
payor" cases can be served in his office, but a few can ONLY be served
under the plan in an different office.  Patients expect the doctor to
magically resolve this at the reception desk... before the services are
rendered.  A good receptionist might remember that we have seen lots of
folks from that particular employer and "worry about who the payor is"
later (so as not to waste the appointment)... but occasionally, we get
stung and the patient is NEVER happy about having to pay for a bunch of
things that were supposed to be "free".

-Chris

Christopher J. Feahr, OD
http://visiondatastandard.org