Thomas Smallwood wrote:

My next question will probably result in subjective responses but I'll
ask it anyway: Is XML-RPC still a viable/reasonable solution for
client/server communication or has it been replaced by something new and
better?

I don't like it, as it is. But with some additional patches (see http://www.apache.org/~jochen/patches), I am quite happy with it. In particular, I have found the following to be important:

- Support for an up-to-date, JAXP 1.2 compliant parser.
- Support for null values.
- Support for byte, short, long, and float.
- Support for objects implementing the Serializable interface.

That's, IMO, completely sufficient for the client/server protocol. Compared to J2EE, one thing is missing, though: Stub generation. But I have written that as well. :-) (See
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/ws-jaxme/src/documentation/content/xdocs/js/apps/xmlrpc.xml?view=markup )

Jochen