On Thursday, 24 October 2013, 13:36, george greenfield
<george.greenfi...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>> There is the oft repeated story that !Desk_Bogo favours VRPC, but
>> Dhrystones indicate rpcemu is faster.

Haven't heard this one personally, however I should point out !Desk_Bogo is
utterly useless as a benchmark, as it benchmarks literally doing nothing (hence
the name). Dhrystone is only marginally more useful.

>Indeed: that suspicion is supported by Chris Hall's benchmarks here
>https://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/5/topics/466?page=8
>where VRPC on a 2668MHz PC gives only 175% compared to a bog-standard
>S/ARM RPC, i.e. 1524MHz = 100%; the corresponding figure for RPCEmu
>here is approx. 1000MHz = 100%. Obviously that assumes a similar
>processor type in the 2668MHz machine, which may not be the case.

The frequently quoted 2668 MHz machine is most likely a Pentium 4. The Core i7
quoted for the RPCemu results will be vastly quicker clock-for-clock, therefore
comparing performance across the different emulators based solely on clock
speeds of these two very different machines is not very meaningful.

Tom