On Apr 10, 2009, at 11:55 AM, Jeff Johnson wrote:

Hmmm... I personally like <stdarg.h> stuff -- except for the inherent
type-loss. At least APIs with dozens of small trivial methods (as it is usually the case with lots of getters/setters) I personally do not like
very. I personally like APIs where each method really _DOES_ a major
part of the functionality and where the overall "boilerplate code" is
reduced to a minimum.

I forget to add

        I loathe all the stoopidness of opaque getters/setters
        and am determined to stamp out the craziness in RPM.

Hint: I'd like to attempt something like python's getters/setters
using offsetof and a handful of types to attach named methods
with SWIG. Luckily rpmlib needs almost no setters, so SWIG
or python-like attachment through a table constructed with a type
and an offsetof is not too hard to achieve.

No matter what I'm sick to death of carrying around legacy methods
for years after the functionality is moot.

        rpmArchScore -> rpmPlatformScore

should not be in RPM at all. But I haven't the energy to waste on
saying why for the 15th or 20th time ...