Heh, that ratio between the size of bash and rc
the last time I checked was 5:1, now 10:1.

[...@fedora10 rc-1.7.1]$ ls -al rc
-rwxrwxr-x 1 jbj jbj 73688 2009-04-14 03:54 rc
[...@fedora10 rc-1.7.1]$ ls -al /bin/bash
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 756040 2008-10-28 17:37 /bin/bash

IIRC rc used to be 78K now 73K. But thats just a dim memory ...

As much as I'd like to roll a custom embedding for
a "shell" interpreter in RPM (and I would enjoy the hack, and I think there's a need), I cannot justify the effort until the concept of embedding interpreters in RPM
is proven.

E.g. LUA has been embedded in RPM for years with hardly any use.
Part of that is perhaps that LUA is a minor language,
but the learning curve with LUA really isn't (and wasn't) bad.

Which means that there's very limited general interest in using
embedded interpreters for either of the reasons 1) or 2) listed at

        http://rpm5.org/community/rpm-devel/3583.html

Embedded shell makes little sense (to me) for templating as in 3)
and no sense (to me) for 4) code development within RPM itself.

Feel free to convince me otherwise. Using the functionality
that already is implemented is quite sufficiently convincing.