On Aug 29, 2013, at 2:31 PM, Tim Mooney wrote:

> Jeff, et. al. -
>
> I'm replacing my current x86_64-pc-solaris2.10 (traditional Solaris 10
> from before Oracle bought Sun, 10u6 to be exact) build box with a new
> x86_64-pc-solaris2.11, which is actually OpenIndiana 151a8.
>
> The RPM 5.1.9 I've been using for packaging and installing local software
> on the Solaris 10 box continues to work just fine on the new OI box, but
> I'm planning on taking a run at current rpm (5.4.12?).  Because I'm a
> glutton for punishment, I'll also be using the no-cost Oracle Studio 12.3
> compiler toolchain.  ;-)
>
> I plan on submitting build patches, but where would you like them
> submitted?  Here?  launchpad?
>
> As you well know, I'm a sysadmin that happens to be able to muddle around
> in C, not a developer, so I expect that any patches will need feedback
> and probably multiple revisions before they might be palatable to
> upstream.  Some will likely never be acceptable for inclusion, but I'll
> submit them and let you sort them out.
>
> Be expecting to see some patches in the coming days.

Several procedural details that would help me immensely:

1) a devtool.conf stanza that indicates what build options you are (or wish) to
use
on OpenSolaris.

    See the OpenIndiana %indiana stanza for what I last used (under CI
buildbots), adjust to taste.
    If I can see/know how you are building RPM, I can more easily anticipate
what problems you
    will encounter and adjust my development accordingly.

   ATM, I am using these 3 stanzas for development on the equipment/VM's
currently available to me:
        %static -- a statically linked, maximally configured (dependent on
"system" *.a availability) build
                 running mostly on Mac OS X Lion but is likely reasonably sane
and "portable".
        %falmouth -- a maximally configured Mac OS X Lion configuration in use
nearly daily
        %plymouth -- a maximally configured Linux configuration running on a
seriously customized
                 (i.e. I replace whatever packages I wish to change) CentOS6
system.

2) hosting a build slave on OpenSolaris
    If you are willing to host a build slave on OpenSolaris, I can likely
"support" OpenSolaris with
    all sorts of CI testing etc. I could also resurrect my OpenIndiana VM and
upgrade to some
    approximation of what your build environment looks like, but the
setup/maintenance cost of a VM
    to try to reproduce problems that you see is a non-tivial amount of extra
work keeping up with
    provisioning a build system. It would be far easier if you could host a
build slave somehow.

    Depending on what CI tests are enabled, 2-6 Gb of disk space, slave access
to the buildbot master,
    and perhaps some infrastructure using locally mounted/cached *.rpm
repositories would be needed.

    The existing CI framework is already sufficient to download *everything* in
Scientific Linux (or other)
    distributions and attempt a de facto test installation into a chroot. Doing
similar against your package
    repositories is quite feasible as well.

Do the above suggestions make sense? If not, then I will rescusitate public CI
buildbots and show
you exactly what I am talking about.

73 de Jeff