2013/8/29 Jeffrey Johnson <n3...@me.com>

> On Aug 29, 2013, at 4:20 PM, Matthew Dawkins wrote:
>
> Honestly, this is kinda arrogant reply. Why deem what is appropriate based
> on what Fedora does? It seems that Fedora allows poor pkging if you have to
> fix explicit suffixes with "*".
>

> Having dealt with various compression issues to support "Have it your own
> way!"
> (including carrying xz internal) as well as brp-foo mysteriously
> unportable scripts,
> well yes, perhaps arrogant.
>
> The flaw is that various distro policies (like whether gz/bz2/xz man
> pages) are
> intrinsically part of distro build systems, not rpm.
>
> RPM has _ALWAYS_ supported the ability to do "Have it your own way!"
> configuration.
>
> The problem with continuing to carry scripts that work for all possible
> compressions
> solves no real world problem: every distro chooses/uses one compression
> and rpm
> is forced to a union of all possible choices.
>
> The better solution is to write one script per-compressor and simplify all
> this complexity.
>
> Eliminating brp-compress.sh entirely and just compressing on build system
> when reading/adding into
> payload is less code and likely more robust.

Uhm, this patch is quite trivially adding support for xz support to the
brp-compress script which takes care of compressing man & info pages (as
they will be installed as on system as well) without having any relevance
to whatever payload format rpm supports or not..

Considering that xz compression is about to replace bzip2 pretty much
everywhere around, while also having decompression speeds that's comparable
to gzip (only 4x as slow, which is actually quite fast, wastly superiour to
bzip2), xz is quite the ideal compression format to use for this purpose
and I see no sane rationale for not adding support for it, especially not
considering it's popularity and adoption.

On the topic of Fedora, while I've seen some spec files which hardcodes
'.gz' as suffix of man pages, the most general practice from what I've
encountered seems to be using '*' as suffix (just like Mandriva, SuSE and
most others has done for ages).
And the suffix used doesn't really have much relevance at all as
compression & suffix to use is optional (while still defaulting to gzip &
'.gz' suffix), so I don't see how in any way this might break anything for
anyone.
Also for the topic of Fedora and the rpm.org fork used by them, it's
brp-compress script already has support for .xz compression (obviously
without breaking anything).

For rpm in cooker, this patch comes after retiring a mandriva specific
script doing the same, with the ambition of deviating less from other
distros by adopting the upstream brp-compress script..

I cannot grasp your reasoning and I guess you must be confusing this
script's purpose with payload compression..?

--
Regards,
Per Øyvind