On 21.03.2016 16:32, Jeff Johnson wrote:
(aside)
I've added Reply-To: <rpm-devel@rpm5.org> which is likely the better forum,
and because I did not receive this msg for whatever reason:
     rpm-5.4.16 snapshot, take 2

i wish it would be possible to disable building cruft that is not used.
that is tests (as we do not run tests) and some weird and perhaps
experimental tools like b2sum. pld intention is not to do some build
coverage, but just get /bin/rpm compiled and packaged
Somehow I have to release one rpm-5.4.16 tarball, not one for every possible
distro
purpose.

i was referring to error linking b2sum, that tool is not needed for building /bin/rpm as far i know. currently there's no configure option to disable building tests or utils like b2sum

The issue with missing va_start has nothing to do with "cruft", but rather
that librpmio is misbuilt on PLD somehow: ensuring that
        #include <stdarg.h>
happens will surely be the fix. Can you find which .o is not including
<strdarg.h>?
Or make the actual failed build available so that I can diagnose?

the build logs should be still available:
https://srcbuilder.pld-linux.org/th/queue.html#144799

and the text fields still contain garbage:
As I tried to say below, PLD and rpm5.org are likely going to differ on
removing the
        RPM_I18NSTRING_TYPE         =  9
data type from rpm headers.
I explicitly verified that Summary/Group/Description could be displayed
using both rpm-4.13.0 (as in Fedora 23), and rpm-5.4.16, in both
        LANG=en_US.UTF-8
and
        LANG=fr_FR
with the underlying switch disabling the change in system.h:
        /**
         * Eliminate RPM_I18NSTRING_TYPE.
         */
        #define SUPPORT_I18NSTRING_TYPE 1
(which is what PLD is likely going to use).
I will check the other value of SUPPORT_I18NSTRING_TYPE next.

well, you said: "The issue is related to eliminating RPM_I18NSTRING_TYPE, there is likely a rpmbuild issue … easy fixing todo++. I seem to recall fixing this problem before ... ". i'm sorry but i have no clues what "eliminating RPM_I18NSTRING_TYPE" means as end result. to me it seems just lingua used by rpm-developers to refer some internal structures i definately do not need to understand.

so i assumed you will "fix" it.

if the result is still grabaged seen with rpm 4.5.15 (or rpm 4.5), i don't see how this is going to play well in real world. such major abi breakages should be introduced in next major version, or at least possible to --enable-i18n configure option to build compatible for use of older rpm versions.

hth

73 de Jeff