On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 12:27 -0400, Jeff Johnson wrote:
> On Jun 21, 2008, at 12:05 PM, Denis Washington wrote:
>

> > What if the transaction fails? register_package() would have returned
> > without error although the registration was unsuccessful then, and all
> > files would already be installed.
> >

> What if you've added a header, but your daemon exits before
> successfully computing and adding RPMTAG_SIZE withthe
> _close_package() method?

Got me. Although, if a dummy value (e.g. 0) was added in
_register_package(), an unsuccessful _close_package() wouldn't be a harm
at all. The header would be complete anyway.

> Same issue, sh*t happens. I'm just trying to minimize the window
> where disasters occur because I _WILL_ have to do the support
> even if your "Berlin API" code is flawed.

Which motivates me to do the best I can to avoid the "desaster window".
Really.

> > Too little: currently yes. Too late: no. Just my opinion. We both know
> > that our thoughts on this differ quite much.
> >

> I've been at RPM packaging for over a decade, you mebbe a month.
>
> Wanna bet on whose opinion is correct? ;-)

Despite thinking that opinions can hardly be measured in terms of
"correctness", there are enough people that keep flawed opinions for
their entire life without reflecting on after some time. Maybe my
comparatively little experience just gives my the flexibility of mind
that you might be missing after more than ten years. But I was actually
not planning to start a whose-right flame war.

> >> My current interest in your code is disaster prevention, not
> >> otherwise.
> >
> > I welcome any motive if it improves code quality, so thanks anyway. ;)
> >

> NP. My life is hell when rpmdb's get hosed up. Doesn't matter whether
> its a kernel mmap(2) flaw, an selinux policy-of-the-day typo, or a
> python
> script kiddies dain bramage.
>
> The "Berlin API" is a recipe for disaster so far.
>
> But I'm most definitely deeply and personally interested in not
> having to do the necessary rpmdb maintenance post-mortem
> if the implementation problems can be solved.

Thought so.

Regard,
Denis

LSB Communication List                                rpm-lsb@rpm5.org