On Mon, 2 Jul 2007, Ville Skyttä wrote:

As for how many dependencies this would eliminate, running some quick queries
[0] against the Fedora primary sqlite metadata database told me it'd be about
7.3% of all dependencies (9246/126066).  This is inaccurate (no versions in
dependencies taken into account etc) but I think it should be the correct
order of magnitude.

Actually much of the benefit would be gained by just having createrepo drop self-requires out of the metadata. That would have an immediate benefit without requiring rebuilding the world. Of course you'd still be downloading the dependency bloat in the rpm's themselves but now that yum uses it's own depsolver doing this one the metadata level would already be beneficial.

        - Panu -