On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Mark Hatle wrote:

You are forgetting that you can query per file dependencies in modern
RPM produced packages.  If you prune self-provided dependencies you lose
this information.

--filerequires and --fileprovides.  Invaluable in my experience.

Heh, I'd never noticed rpm *had* such options...

I can see how those are useful for some purposes such as digging out where exactly some dependency bloat comes from. Pruning self-requires wouldn't affect the utility of that much I think.

This actually makes me think it'd be nice if there was a tool for running the internal dependency generator on arbitrary files (outside rpmbuild) so you could look at any file/filelist and see how rpm classifies them and what dependencies it'll produce.

There just is no reason to prune self-fulfilled dependencies.

Saving memory and bandwith is "no reason"?

Out of curiosity, what exactly do you use those --filerequire and --fileprovide options for? Like said, I can see some purposes where they can be useful but it's not like they're required for average every day operation :)

        - Panu -