On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, Jason Corley wrote:

If --aid were the only depsolving mechanism available, the users wouldn't
be surviving these days. Seriously.

Dunno, we did just fine with it way back when, perhaps users aren't
what they used to be.

Well, people did fine with T-Ford's back then...

Like said, having rpm make good
suggestions on missing dependencies is a nice feature but the current
mechanism requiring a *huge* solve database that gets outdated as
soon as a single package is updated simply doesn't cut it.

This statement assumes that the way the rpmdb-foo package was shipped
by vendors was and is the only way to use the --aid functionality.  I
doubt that's actually the case.

The way it's currently implemented it is the only way. In theory the solvedb could be trimmed down in various ways and download sizes reduced by deltarpms and whatnot, but that's not really the point.

Let me put it this way: there are far better tools to deal with depsolving, arguments like these ain't going to save the solvedb. If you want to save it, provide a real use-case (be it exceptional circumstances or whatever) where the solvedb actually does the job better than a modern depsolver of your choice.

        - Panu -