Two camps of thought.. If you build a binary AND SRPM, you better not short-circuit or you won't have a reproducible build. In this case, short-circuit is bad and shouldn't be used for anything but working through problems.

Then there are folks like us, we use RPM as a container/shipment mechanism. Our builds may or may not be based on spec files.. But we never ship SRPMs, and we don't ship spec files outside of our build environment. We expect customers to use our build environment to produce the RPM package (or use packages produced external to our environment...) So --short-circuit is critical for us to be able to create the binary rpms that we use ever day.

For us, "rpmbuild" is useful primarily to "cpio" up a filesystem and attach metadata.

"rpm" is useful to manage the system on the target made up of the cpio and metadata.

So my short answer is, if you take away --short-circuit, we'll be forced to resurrect it, or go with some alternative mechanism to create the RPM binary package.

(I doubt we're the only environment like this.)

--Mark

Per Øyvind Karlsen wrote:
On Thursday 12 June 2008 19:48:37 Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

 > On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 19:38 +0200, Pixel wrote:

 > > "Tom \"spot\" Callaway" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > > The only reason we use mktemp in there is because we couldn't make rpm

 > > > code changes to use the native glibc functions. As to rpm

 > > > --short-circuit, well, I honestly think we should think long and hard

 > > > about whether we want to keep it around.

 > > well, as for mandriva, i think it is mandatory to keep a similar

 > > feature. and since nowadays distributions use build systems, i really

 > > don't see how this can be dangerous. the usefulness to adjustate

 > > %install and %files on big pkgs is quite obvious (my example: gcc)

 > > but i'm not against slowly obsoleting --short-circuit which has some

 > > drawbacks in favor of the following (that mandriva inherited from

 > > conectiva)

 > Hm. FWIW, my opinion is that people shouldn't be short-circuiting builds

 > like you're describing, it only opens the door to non-reproducable

 > builds. Obviously, others disagree with that. :)

That'd be the analogy of always requiring people to do 'make clean' before running 'make' on some project they're working on..

Rather non-sense or oblivious about the relevant details, but whatever, --short-circuit saves my day every now and then several times a day without it affecting any packages of mine in the distro..