On Tuesday 02 September 2008, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> I don't know if this is the new version of RPM in Fedora Rawhide, or
> just coincidence, but recently I've noticed that RPM has become even
> more aggressive about stripping binaries.

Just out of interest, how?  Is strip invoked bu rpmbuild on some files it was
not invoked at all earlier, or does strip itself do more these days than it
used to?

> At the moment the only way I can find to disable it is:
>
>   %define __os_install_post /usr/lib/rpm/brp-compress %{nil}
>
> which is certainly taking a very big hammer to crack a small nut.  Is
> there an easier way?

One trick that at least used to work was to make sure binaries that one does
not want stripped are non-executable at end of %install, and then restore the
executable bits for them in %files using %attr.