thanks - i put this in the %postun

# Only remove symlink if we are erasing package
if [ $1 = 0 ]; then
   if [ -h /usr/java/latest ] ; then
           rm -f /usr/java/latest ;
   fi
fi

but on an upgrade the symlink still got wiped out. I was sure that looked right when compared to

         install   erase   upgrade  reinstall
%pre         1        -         2         2
%post        1        -         2         2
%preun       -        0         1         -

but seemingly not!
%postun      -        0         1         -

my bad - this in fact worked fine -

reason it appeared to not was due to the fact that the previous package that was being removed was built without this and therefore removed the symlink.

this now works as i expect which is great.

thanks