On 01/28/2013 04:05 AM, Alexey Tourbin wrote:
> In the existing implementation, when a new macro is added, the whole
> table has to be sorted again.  Hence the cost of adding n macros is
> worse than O(n^2), due to arithmetic progression.
>
> This change drops all qsort(3) stuff altogether, by carefully preserving
> table in sorted order.  In findEntry routine, bsearch(3) is replaced
> with customized binary search which tracks position for insertion.
> In the addMacro routine, if a matching entry is not found, this
> position is used for direct insertion, after the rest of the elements
> are "shifted to the right" with memmove(3).  Likewise, in delMacro
> routine, the elements are shifted back to the left when the last macro
> definition is popped.  Technically, shifting half of the array with
> memmove(3) is still O(n^2); however, modern CPUs process contiguous
> memory in a very efficient manner, and glibc provides a fine-tuned
> memmove(3) implementation.
>
> Also, macro table entries are now allocated in a single chunk.
>
> This change reduces rpm startup costs by factor of 6 (see callgrind
> annotations below).  Also, this change improves specfile parser
> performance by a factor of 2 (e.g. the parse time of texlive.spec
> is reduced from 67s to 35s).

Impressive numbers. I wonder if thing could even improve further by
switching to a hash table. RPM has it's own generic hash data type found
in lib/rpmhash.H and lib/rpmhash.C
These work with some kind of include magic.

You #define HASHTYPE as a prefix used for the datatype and all related
functions.
HTKEYTYPE for the key data type and
HTDATATYPE for value data type. This can also be a struct for keeping
the value inside the hash. There can be more than one value per key.
With HTDATATYPE undefined the hash acts as a set.

After setting these macros the rpmhash.[HC] fiels are include to build
the header or code for the given types.

See lib/depends.c for two examples of how it is used.

Florian