Dne 17.10.2016 v 11:30 Thierry Vignaud napsal(a):
> On 17 October 2016 at 10:10, Panu Matilainen <pmati...@laiskiainen.org> wrote:
>>> What is the chance to get [1, 2] into the release? I mildly remember,
>>> that once I was offered to get this patch into Fedora, but that never
>>> materialized and now it is almost a year. I don't think this is
>>> controversial change which should make anything break.
>>> Thx for considering.
>>> Vít
>>> [1] https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/pull/27
>>> [2]
>>> https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/commit/89d1dd0a7c63c7497d334e9f240ce7e36ca89434
>> Hmm, that has actually been in Mageia for over a year so it's certainly
>> gotten its share of soak-time (so at least it's not breaking anything else)
>> and people are probably depending on it in Mageia so it'd be a reasonable
>> candidate.
> Actually, it's been here at least in Mageia from much more earlier:
> http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/rpm/current/SOURCES/rpm-4.6.1-setup-rubygems.patch?view=markup&pathrev=343
> I think the original patch went in in October 2010, previously we were
> using a separate %gem_unpack macro
> But it's not the same implementation as the one that has been merged
> in master. Mageia one is:
> http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/rpm/current/SOURCES/rpm-4.12.90-setup-rubygems.patch?revision=860276&view=markup
> But if it works the same, Mageia will be happy to drop one more patch :-)

They are a bit different indeed. These are two main differences I can see:

1) The upstream patch is using 'gem' command to unpack the sources
instead of using 'tar'. The advantage of this approach is that it should
be always able to unpack every gem. Please note that historically, the
.gem format was internally different and the format might change again
in the future. The disadvantage is the dependency on external tool, but
this is just soft dependency, since RPM can handle the missing 'gem'
command gracefully.

2) There is provided the %{gem_name}.gemspec file alongside the unpacked
code, which is in Fedora used to repackage patched gem, prior installation.

Rpm-maint mailing list