On 10/25/2017 06:28 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 7:30 AM, Panu Matilainen <pmati...@redhat.com> wrote:
On 10/25/2017 02:06 PM, Mark Wielaard wrote:

On Wed, 2017-10-25 at 12:49 +0200, Igor Gnatenko wrote:

On Wed, 2017-10-25 at 13:46 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
So I'm wondering how to make this less ugly.

The first thing that comes to mind is adding a %hidden virtual
attribute
and using it on build-ids (which are in a hidden directory on the
filesystem), which would hide such files rpm -ql etc output by
default
(but with a cli-switch to show it all).

Another option would be hiding files and directories starting with
dot,
ie mirror the filesystem behavior. Obviously with a switch to show
them too.

The idea of being able to hide arbitrary files from default output
makes
me a bit queasy. And also %hidden wouldn't help with existing
packages,
(mass) rebuilds are needed with that option. So it seems like two
points
in favor of the fs behavior, but dunno.

Thoughts, comments, better ideas?

I definitely like FS approach (2). But also having %hidden (1) would
find its use I think.

I don't like the name %hidden, but I think that having an official
attribute like "%artificial" might be the correct way to go. Then any
file added by rpm/file trigger/etc that wasn't explicitly mentioned in
the spec %files list could get that attribute. If you have that then
you can have a rpm -qA to list all "artificial" files of the rpm (and
rpm -qlA would show all).

I don't really like it either. Actually the very first idea I had was to
simply add build-id's as a virtual attribute of their own, ie %buildid, and
callers/users could then decide whether they want to see them or not. But it
seemed a bit limiting (what if we grow more data like this in the future) so
I came up with "hidden", but those are entirely different kinds of concepts.

I don't like the hide .dot files heuristic. People might have
explicitly added .dot files to their spec %files. Then I think they
should be shown by default I think.

There's that, yes.

But maybe explicitly treat /.build-id/ as artificial and then add an
official %artificial for all "future" use would be a good compromise?

Yeah, %artificial would be more like "build-id concept broadened", as
opposed to "hidden" which is something completely different. Inspired by
that, %artifact would also seem fairly fitting.

The %artifact marker would make sense for things like Python pycache
files too. And if package generators get implemented, then broadly
speaking, this would allow making these things done more or less
automatically.

Okay, support for %artifact added in commit 6f1e75ddd2c67eb8b43608c03bf0cc895612e6fe, thanks for your input guys!

I'll post a patch adding artifact markers to the relevant debuginfo artifacts for review shortly.

        - Panu -