On 03/06/2018 06:29 PM, Vladimir D. Seleznev wrote:
On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 05:54:27AM -0500, Jeff Johnson wrote:
You might try the convention of assigning tags in the 1Gb space from 0x40000000
to 0x4fffffff as you wish.

(aside)
RPM5 has something called "arbitrary tags" in the 0x40000000 -> 0x4fffffff
range.

Short answer:
Choose any tagno in that range and do what you wish.

Longer answer:

Choose a tag name string.

The  tagno is computed from a (configurable) tag name string as follows:

1) the tag name plain text is canonicalized (leading alphabetic, alphanumeric characters,
1st letter uppercase, rest lowercase). E.g. "Mynewtag42"

2) the  4 binary bytes of the SHA1 of the canonical string are copied into a
uint32 (which needs to be swabbed on big endian platforms).

3) the tagno is assigned by then masking on the 0x40000000 arbitrary tag
identifier onto the least significant 30 bits of the uint32.

Thank you for the suggestion, I think we shall follow this!

Sigh. What's so secret about that work that you can't at least briefly explain the actual use for those tags here?

        - Panu -