On May 9, 2010, at 8:18 PM, Eric MSP Veith wrote:

> On Monday 10 May 2010, Jeff Johnson <n3...@mac.com> wrote:
>> So you want macros expanded generally within, say, %config file bodies?
>
> Nope, not generally. That would be overhead. Although it wouldn't hurt, what
> I have in mind is more like a embedded lua script that does macro expension
> in a single file where I want it to expand macros, among other things.
>
> Basically, what I'm asking is: Does rpm.expand() have (a) a size limit and
> (b) the ability to expand things I define in the spec file?

Ah the macro expansion limit.

The limit is currently at 110K iirc. The buffer size is tunable in
rpmio/macros.c,
the 110Kb is known to work for OpenPKG (which is using embedded lua
extensively).

lua _IS_ a programming language, you should not be limited by whatever size
a macro expansion buffer is. If you do hit the limit, you should likely
change your approach to use, say, /tmp files! wotta concept!

73 de Jeff

User Communication List                             rpm-users@rpm5.org