Hi Jeff:

Some questions below:

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 7:30 PM, Jeff Johnson <n3...@mac.com> wrote:

> There is no simple solution that I see to the above: either more resources
> @rpm5.org
> are needed (which is unlikely to happen), or users are going to have
> to patch the released version to accommodate their own specific build needs.

What are these resources ? People or computers ?

> The necessary changes are not all that hard:
>
>        There are two places that
>                #include <db51/db.h>
>        is used that need to be changed. Its the "db51/" portion
>        of the include that causes build failures.

You've answered this before, but could you please tell us once again
what would be the repercussions of changing this to

#include <db.h>

> And there are these 3 approaches to building RPM:
>
>        1) install db-5.1.x into
>                /usr/include/db51/db.h
>                /usr/lib/libdb-5.1.*

The default make install for bdb creates some other folder structures.
I've had to symlink from those locations to the above.

>        2) patch RPM to use a different version of Berkeley DB
>
>        3) re-add Berkeley DB db-5.1.x internal to RPM.

What is the reason that you'd removed this ? How about making this the
default again, with us distro folk having to explicitly specify
--with-db=external ?

> @rpm5.org cannot dictate which of those approaches end-users wish to choose
> in RPM.

I feel that getting rpm5 to build easily is a good goal to have. I've
learned that if I read your INSTALL document, and then follow
devtool.conf, then life becomes easier.

Looking forward to your replies.

--
Belenix: www.belenix.org