Rick Miller wrote:

>> But even with all the patching, the only yum use is for handling
>> RPM packages for Linux on FreeBSD (like for the linux emulator).
>> It has too many hardcoded assumptions to work for native packages.
>> There is no real interest in having it portable to other systems.
>
> I left something out when I explained that we were trying to build
> Yum.  We are looking to install RPM and Yum and use those to manage
> our homegrown software and packages on FreeBSD.  We're not looking to
> manage anything other than our own software and applicable
> dependancies.

That is a perfectly reasonable usage scenario, just not sure about yum.

But just because it isn't "supported" doesn't mean that it won't work.

> Having said that, do you believe that portability will continue to be
> an issue under these circumstances?

I haven't looked at the later versions, than rpm-5.2.1 and yum-3.2.29.

But yum used to have all kinds of assumptions coded in, like the use
of /usr/bin/python and not allowing prefix. Or using "redhat-release".

And as far as I know, yum still declares conflicts on rpm5 and zif...

Should take a look at the later yum code, see how much it would take ?
A slight problem is that nobody is maintaining the python at rpm5.org.

--anders

User Communication List                             rpm-users@rpm5.org