Neal Gompa wrote:
> You really only need to recompile libmedia.so, which is where the
> codec whitelist exists. Both this and the libffmpeg.so library are
> provided by the chromium-libs-media package. I'm not sure if it would
> work with the system ffmpeg library without a patch, so you may need
> to recompile specifically the libmedia.so and libffmpeg.so components
> from the Chromium sources into a new chromium-libs-media-freeworld
> package.

Replacing libmedia.so is unfortunately not enough. The
USE_PROPRIETARY_CODECS compile-time flag is checked all over the place, even
in the application layer. See e.g.:
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src.git/+/master/chrome/common/chrome_content_client.cc#135

(QtWebEngine's equivalent has the same at:
http://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtwebengine.git/tree/src/core/content_client_qt.cpp#n253
by the way.)

You'll probably find more if you search all .cc files for the string. So
either you patch all these usages in the Fedora Chromium package to look up
the flag from libmedia at runtime, or there is no way around recompiling the
whole Chromium.

        Kevin Kofler