On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 12:56 PM, Xavier Bachelot <xav...@bachelot.org>
wrote:

> On 23/07/2016 08:27, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>
>> On 07/08/2016 12:59 PM, Xavier Bachelot wrote:
>>
>>> The reasoning is VideoLAN is a French organization and libdvdcss is
>>> legal in France.
>>> Seehttp://www.videolan.org/legal.html
>>>
>>> Starting from that point, the first question to answer to be able to
>>> distribute libdvdcss in RPM Fusion is which laws do apply to RPM Fusion.
>>> As all (?) of the servers are hosted in France, I believe the French law
>>> applies and thus it should be safe. But indeed, that is just what I
>>> understand from RPM Fusion infrastructure and I might be wrong.
>>>
>>> Second question is, do the people that run the RPM Fusion infra and thus
>>> might be considered liable for the distributed content accept the
>>> potential legal risk, which is pretty low if French laws apply, but is
>>> still non-null. Also, just like I'm unsure where the servers are
>>> located, I'm unsure of the Infra head count and names.
>>>
>>> I'll reach out to VideoLAN as soon as we have answers to the above
>>> questions.
>>> Also, once the above are answered, we can then talk about how the RPM
>>> Fusion contributors feel about libdvdcss, but my (biased) feeling is
>>> most of current contributors are ok . However, there have been some
>>> people that were advert to having libdvdcss in RPM Fusion in the past. I
>>> don't know who they are, what were their exact reasoning, if they are
>>> still active or not and if they've changed their mind. That's why I was
>>> calling especially for opinions against distributing libdvdcss.
>>>

>> Nicolas, can you share your thoughts on this?
>>

> Now that the summer vacations are coming to an end, hopefully more people
> are around and can raise their voice.
> Infra people, packages maintainers, mirror admins, end-users, don't be
> shy, let us know what you think about including libdvdcss in RPM Fusion.
>
> Regards,
> Xavier

As a package maintainer and end-user, I think it'd be valuable to have
libdvdcss in RPM Fusion.

If there is some concern about mirroring, though, perhaps we could create a
*third* repository for this sort of even more dubious package? Which I
guess at the moment would just be libdvdcss and anything that depends on
it. Then mirrors that don't / can't ship it simply don't mirror this
additional repo.

Ben Rosser