On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 15:46:39 +0100
John Pilkington <j.p...@tesco.net> wrote:

> But I don't appear to have access to my old MB audio hardware, and
> neither vlc nor smplayer have yet played with audio.  I've found a
> 'PulseAudio/Examples' page
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Examples
>
> which looks as if it might eventually lead to an answer, but any
> hints from closer to home would be welcome.

If your audio hardware previously worked with vlc or mplayer, then it
is still compatible.  What has likely happened is that the new video
card has been interpreted as an audio device, and the order of your
audio devices has changed because of device discovery during boot.  So
the audio output that used to go to your MB audio hardware is now going
to the audio output on the new video card.

Try aplay -l to see your list of audio hardware.  Once you have that,
play a wav to your MB audio by using
aplay -D [name of MB audio device] [wav file name]
If this plays, then it is the ordering of devices that is at fault.

The best way to fix this is to use the pavucontrol application.  You
can set the default audio hardware for pulseaudio from there.

There is a way to fix the order in alsa by putting a file
in /etc/modprobe.d, but it is too complicated to explain in a post.  If
you search online, you should find references to it.  Setting pulse to
use a device will work just as well.