AFAIK, yours is the first such request.
You complain about Hyperkitty yet suggest it?

If I keep / archive the emails I have the threads?

Separate point, The subject matter is (I believe) time dependent?
Not sure how an archive n months old would be of use?
    Can you see a use for 6 month old emails, other than as history?

regards

On 22 February 2018 at 15:44, D. Hugh Redelmeier <h...@mimosa.com> wrote:
> | From: Dave Pawson <dave.paw...@gmail.com>
>
> | On 21 February 2018 at 21:57, D. Hugh Redelmeier <h...@mimosa.com> wrote:
>
> | > Lots of folks prefer Forum-style interaction rather than email lists.
> | > Hyperkitty, if it worked, could make a mailing list act like a forum
> | > for those who want that.
>
> | And for those who prefer email lists Hugh?
> |   Should we back off an align with your preferences?
> |
> | I don't think you have made a case.
>
> I'm sorry that I wasn't clear.  I hope an upgrade to Hyperkitty would let
> those who prefer mailing lists continue to use the mailing list, and those
> who prefer a forum to use the forum-like interface to the very same list.
> The messages would NOT be partitioned into forum messages and mailing list
> messages.
>
> I've seen communities split by this kind of thing.  Avoiding a split
> is a Good Thing.
>
> The current Hyperkitty is very frustrating because the most important
> part of the list is absent: replies.  This limitation isn't made plain
> to the reader.  Nor is a way of getting around it (except downloading
> and parsing an archive).
>
> PS: I know that I'm a newbie here.  Noisy newbies can be annoying
> until they are acculturated.  On the other hand newbies have fresh
> eyes.

Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.
Docbook FAQ.