On Mar 8, 2010, at 4:54 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

>>> Probably needless to say, I do not agree with this. There
>>> are _definitely_ more options than DeathI and DeathII.
>>>
>>> Noel
>>
>> There is also DeathIII, i.e., we shift to v6 (or something
>> else), but through some series of steps that preserves IPv4
>> in place as a critical, non-substitutable input for
>> provisioning routing services. If that happens, black
>> market-driven deaggregation would not be inevitable.
>
> I think you're neglecting what is actually happening now, which
> is a (semi) permanent shift to a dual stack routing network
> with various forms of multiprotocol interworking, including
> but by no means limited to v6/v4 packet level translation.
>
> That will allow the v4 network to survive for a long time,
> but my personal guess is that it won't deaggregate beyond
> about a million prefixes, because it will just be easier to
> grow IPv6 after a certain point. Yes, there will be a fairly
> messy grey or black IPv4 market and a lot of users suffering
> from gangrene (double or triple NAT, or living on the wrong
> side of NAT64).
>
> IPv4-only providers will indeed end up as dinosaurs. Funny,
> really, that it's the incumbent carriers who seem to be
> at the lowest risk of this.
>
>   Brian

Far from neglecting, I've been closely following & actively encouraging IPv6
deployment, at least as much as my own circumstances permit.
But while some recent movements in that direction are fairly encouraging, I
personally think that it's premature to assume that they represent a "(semi)
permanent shift" to anything, much less to the sort of dual stack routing
environment that would enable IPv6-only networks to operate at anything less
than a crippling/fatal disadvantage.

In another, very closely related context, the correlates of transition that you
identify  -- messy, opaque, unpredictable input exchange markets, interworking
mechanisms that impose various local and transitive disadvantages on some
parties, while advantaging others  -- have been identified with an historically
recurring adaptation pattern called "Gresham's Law," which in this context
would would translate to "bad interworking mechanisms drive out the good/better
interworking alternatives." The mechanisms that have been historically
associated with Gresham's Law are the exact same developments that we're
anticipating today, e.g.,

1. "Strategic rationing" of the more favorable interworking tokens by those who
have them, for use only in their most critical interactions and exchanges,
i.e., with (economic) peers and/or parties with superior bargaining power. As a
result, whatever distinct advantages were provided under the previous
interworking regime become increasingly rare and inaccessible, esp. to new
entrants.

2. Deep aversion to using the less favorable interworking tokens by the
majority of system participants, driven in part by a persistent, widespread,
and very durable (b/c it's not strong informed by empirical counter/evidence)
perception both that the other kind interworking token is not reliable now, and
that it's future utility is even more uncertain.

3. On balance, the technical decomposability of key interworking inputs (in
this case short < > long IPv4 prefixes, individual IPv4 addresses < > TCP
ports) actually encourages as much or more aggregation/consolidation than it
does de-aggregation/diffusion, ultimately resulting in (4).

4. Initial natural/technical barriers to interworking create private incentives
among enough well-placed market participants so that over time the barriers
become fixed in place regardless of their original causes, creating an
ossified, class-based economy with greatly reduced vertical mobility.

5. Everyone gradually gets used to the new, diminished, less reliable
interworking environment, and to the less efficient, less innovative, more risk
averse, more stratified, more brittle -- i.e., broadly inferior -- economy that
it permits.

Bottom line: It's too soon to tell whether TCP/IP will succumb to Gresham's
Law, but IMO it's way too soon to conclude that the modest uptick in IPv6
deployment that we're seeing now, finally, means that the risks associated with
a Gresham's Law-like adaptation have been eliminated.

That said, I heartily encourage my friends and colleagues who are still
operators to prove me wrong!

TV