In einer eMail vom 23.03.2010 20:35:15 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt
li...@cs.ucla.edu:

by Mark  Handley,
http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/m.handley/papers/only-just-works.pdf

In  preparing our meeting for Friday, I found the views in this paper
refreshing

Lixia (no hat)

Lixia,
you find this view refreshing, but you nevertheless avoid questioning the
existing routing paradigms:
You don't see or admit the primitiveness of the distance vector algorithm
compared with Dijkstra and the capability to determine a next hop based on
knowing the topology.
Yes, nothing has changed during the last 20 years of BGP-based inter-domain
 routing. I call it "progress by inzest" if TE is based on manipulating the
 PATH length by adding the same AS more than once.
Nevertheless, I do not blame BGP, because I know that BGP could as well be
improved as to become an inter-domain topology aware protocol. You can
collect  millions of routes and are nevertheless in a poor shape with DV, as it

prevents knowing a huge number of routes due to its design. That cannot be
improved -unless you dump DV! You cannot develop an adequate congestion
handling  mechanism if you don't know the topology! Obviously the paper you are
referring  to complies with the view that congestion handling is a network
layer issue and  not a transport layer issue. But the network can handle it
only if it knows its  topology!
The RRG is supposed to be a research group, i.e. not a group which deals
with the next moment's need. But I do not see that the dominant people even
react on arguments that question the existing paradigms. You cannot win the
future with DV - period. Certainly, Dijkstra is not sufficient, too, but
Dijkstra can be improved! Substantially improved!
However with the current attitude you won't accomplish any change for the
better. You will go on with the most primitive TTL-mechanism ever. You will
go  on with the phantom fear wrt loops.You will go on with the orthogonality
between  intra- and inter-domain routing, and won't realize the advantages
if that were  overcome.You will keep off  a whole  generation of students
from  developing a network layer that deserves this name. Note, the current IP
network  layer wouldn't work without ITU-T's phone networks. IETF's victory
over ITU-T  was based on its advanced routing capabilities (imho). But
today car  navigation outperforms the internet's routing capabilities by far
-without  complaining about scalability problems, btw.

Heiner