On 8/24/07, Pat Maddox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 8/24/07, David Chelimsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > describe Widget, "class" do
> >   it "should provide a list of widgets sorted alphabetically" do
> >     Widget.should_receive(:find).with(:order => "name ASC")
> >     Widget.find_alphabetically
> >   end
> > end
> >
> > You're correct that the refactoring requires you to change the
> > object-level examples, and that is something that would be nice to
> > avoid. But also keep in mind that in java and C# people refactor
> > things like that all the time without batting an eye, because the
> > tools make it a one-step activity. Refactoring is changing the design
> > of your *system* without changing its behaviour. That doesn't really
> > fly all the way down to the object level 100% of the time.
> >
> > WDYT?
>
> I think that example is fine up until the model spec.  The
> find_alphabetically example should hit the db, imo.  With the current
> spec there's no way to know whether find_alphabetically actually works
> or not.  You're relying on knowledge of ActiveRecord here, trusting
> that the arguments to find are correct.

Au contrare! This all starts with an Integration Test. I didn't post
the code but I did mention it.

> What I've found when I write specs is that I discover new layers of
> services until eventually I get to a layer that actually does
> something.  When I get there, it's important to have specs that
> describe what it does, not how it does it.  In the case of
> find_alphabetically we care that it returns the items in alphabetical
> order.  Not that it makes a certain call to the db.

I play this both ways and haven't come to a preference, but I'm
leaning towards blocking database access from the rspec examples and
only allowing it my end to end tests (using Rails Integration Tests or
- soon - RSpec's new Story Runner).